Lto user interaction with DApps of blockchains like those of Ethereum they require a bridge, and that is precisely what MetaMask does. Dappradar is an extension or plugin for web browsers that allows users to easily interact with DApps on the Ethereum blockchain. This is possible, because MetaMask acts as a bridge between DApps and web browsers, facilitating their use and enjoyment.
Thanks to this, users are able to easily use these distributed applications and all in an integrated way from their favorite browser. With support for Firefox, Chrome, Opera y Brave, MetaMask has brought the world of DApps closer to the general public.
However How was MetaMask born? How does it work? What advantages does it offer? We will discuss all of this below.
MetaMask, the birth of a bridge for DApps
MetaMask was developed by two developers, Aaron Davis y Dan finlay. It was they who laid the first foundations for the development of MetaMask in 2016. The idea behind the project was simple and revolutionary. MetaMask would allow users to use their web browser to easily interact with their favorite Dapps, quickly and safely.
For this, MetaMask would use the Ethereum interface and web API, web3.js. This official Ethereum library would be the fundamental foundation of the world of possibilities offered by MetaMask. Thanks to it it would be possible to create a proxy or communication bridge between the DApps, MetaMask and the users.
The work turned out to be quite a technical challenge, especially on the subject of maintaining the necessary security for its users. However, MetaMask accomplished its mission and the July 14, 2016 its first version was presented. At this point, the extension was available for the Chrome browser and derivatives. Later its version for Firefox would be presented, allowing the use of said extension in that browser.
Since then MetaMask has become the easiest way to access DApps through a user-friendly interface. All this without the need to configure absolutely anything.
How does MetaMask work?
MetaMask works thanks to the use of web3.js, a library that is part of the official development of Ethereum. web3.js was created in order to allow the creation of web applications that could interact with the Ethereum blockchain. Thanks to it, web pages and extensions can take advantage of the power of Ethereum and its features.
In that sense, MetaMask was created to be a purse for Ethereum and a tool to interact with DApps. To achieve both tasks, MetaMask establishes a communication channel between the extension and the DApp in question. Once the application recognizes that MetaMask is present, it is enabled and can be used by the user.
With the DApp enabled, the user can perform each and every one of the actions or events that it allows. From the purchase or sale of tokens, to access to resources or any service provided by it. Each and every one of these actions has a cost, one that must be paid in Ethereum or in the token indicated for it. In any case, MetaMask has the necessary tools to handle this interaction.
That is, MetaMask not only generates a cryptocurrency wallet, but controls every user interaction with the DApp, and performs the operations necessary for said operations to be carried out. All this is carried out in a secure means of communication and with the use of strong cryptography. MetaMask has the ability to generate its own asymmetric keys, save them locally and manage their access. Thanks to this, MetaMask is a highly secure extension.
How to install MetaMask?
The installation of MetaMask does not involve major difficulties. As it is a popular and proven browser extension, it is available in the extensions store or repository. In this way, it is enough to access the store of your browser and download it to use it in your preferred web browser.
In the case of Chrome, you can find it here. In case you have a browser derived from Chrome like Opera, Brave or Vivaldi, this extension will work perfectly. If you use Firefox instead, the extension can find it this link. You can also access the extension from the official MetaMask website. It will detect your browser and direct you to the correct link for the installation of the extension
As a warning from Bit2Me Academy we ask you to be very careful with the extensions you install in your browser. Remember that there are many cases of identity theft (phishing) among the extensions, so you must verify very well what is installed. To do this, it is best to use the official media and attend the updates offered officially. These checks will allow you to get the most out of your MetaMask experience.
Where can I use MetaMask?
Thanks to the wide popularity of MetaMask, there are many Dapps that support interaction through this extension. Among the most popular Dapps that you can access using MetaMask we can highlight:
- Decentralized exchanges. Bit2Me DEX it is one of these advanced markets. This type of trading platforms allow us to take advantage of the great potential of blockchain technology in a clear way, completely eliminating the risk of theft by allowing you to have control of your tokens throughout the exchange process.
- Applications like CryptoKitties: Buy your kitty and breed it as your best digital pet. CryptoKitties is one of the most popular games in the entire crypto world. You can buy, sell or exchange virtual kittens and earn money thanks to this. Its integration with MetaMask allows you to make full use of the gaming platform.
- Prediction markets as Veil Market. This is a well-known prediction P2P market that takes advantage of the Augur, 0x and Ethereum protocols.
- Services like Bonfire. Bonfire is an agreement between users to "burn" ETH with the intention of making ETH rarer and more valuable. Each commitment to the contract also gives the user the opportunity to be randomly selected for a prize in ETH. Pledges range from £ 1 to £ 5 depending on the bonfire a user commits to. 55% of the ETH promised to the contract is removed in a coin burn. A coin burn is the process in which each coin is permanently removed from circulation.
- Games like 0xUniverse. This is an entertaining RTS type game where you must conquer planets and expand your empire across the galaxy. It is another game that allows the use of MetaMask to interact with all aspects of it.
- Type purses MyEtherWallet. This renowned online wallet is also another project that allows the use of MetaMask. In fact, using MetaMask is recommended to add an extra layer of security to the wallet. This is thanks to MetaMask's ability to locally store wallet information.